Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 8 - The Long and Winding Road...

Patty:
Our Campground in Corvallis was nice; unfortunately the same can't be said for a couple of the campers. A couple that was camping near us began arguing. The guys managed to fall asleep before it got really loud, but I was doing laundry late and I heard them until they stopped around 1:00 am (long after the laundry was done). Around 3 am I was awakened by the sound of a car door closing. Thinking it was the Jeep's door, I looked out the window of the tent and saw a guy trying to get a tent set up with one hand. The other was holding a bottle. He cursed and swore for probably 30 minutes before he finally managed to get his tent up and get into it. So much for sleep.

We woke around 6 am and started getting things put away. We went to Shari's for breakfast and then the guys took off. I headed to Beaverton to pick up Tim who came as my sag buddy for the last leg of the trip.Kevin:
The road and weather were nice, but there was a little bit of headwind. Also, I was having difficulty really settling into the ride. Whatever the reason, we were going slower than usual and I didn't feel up to going much faster.

But the miles went by, which was good because after Monmouth there weren't real towns or good places for a break until we got to Amity.Patty:
I picked up Tim and we headed back to meet up with Kevin and Gavin. We met in Amity and had a great lunch at the Pizzeria and Deli there. After lunch, Tim and I met up with the guys again in McMinnville for ice cream at Alf's. If you are ever in McMinnville you have to go there. Great ice cream made right there, as well as a real monkey named Elvis. Once we had eaten all the ice cream and watched the monkey long enough, Tim and I took a small detour to drop off a form at Linfield College, soon to be home for Sierra. While there we peaked in at the cool pipe organ too.Kevin:
At Alf's I had a very nice hot fudge sundae made with Chocolate Chip Mint ice cream. And when I got back on my bike, I finally felt normal riding again. I suppose I could have stopped and gotten some ice cream back in Monmouth, but who knew? The last part of the ride was pleasant, but short.

Come to think of it, we had had such a large and late lunch in Corvallis yesterday that we didn't have a real supper. That may have been a mistake that even a good breakfast couldn't fix right away.

On the way through McMinnville, Gavin got a flat tire. We got it changed quickly enough, but the tube wasn't worth patching. We now have no spare tubes left.

Patty:
We found our campsite in Lafayette and are all set for the night. Gavin is very happy to have his cousin, Tim, as a tent mate.

Ride Stats:
Distance today: 56.0
Distance trip: 347.6
Max Speed: 32.6
Av Speed: 12.5
Time: 4:29

No comments: